I find a lot of delight in life. Like the double rainbow making an appearance on the farm again this evening. The cats curling up with us girls while we chat on the hay bales. The thin spring mist settling over the warm single-lane pavement, cleverly adjusting to every curve. A warm plate of dinner that's been fussed over from the start of its life cycle to the end. Anson Mills Farro is one of those delights. South Carolina's Anson Mills is a company with a truly delightful story. They take enormous pride in their products and you can taste it in every morsel of food. If ever I had to choose one thing to eat for the rest of my life, it would be Anson Mills Farro.
I've had some of the Farro recipes Anson Mills provides, all of which have been beyond delicious, but I wanted to try something on my own. Tonight we roasted beets and carrots in a tarragon, honey, lemon glaze and served them over the warm and creamy Farro. I cooked the Farro in a pretty similar fashion to how Anson Mills outlines in their Piccolo Farrotto recipe, but made a couple of small adjustments. I'm not a huge fan of butter, but for this it's almost a requirement. The combination of butter and white wine is so perfect, it would be a shame to divorce the two.
The Farro takes a bit of hand-holding and time to cook this way, but I promise the end result is so worth it. It is creamy and delightful and unlike any other grain experience you could possibly have. You truly cannot take another bite quick enough, and when the last bite disappears from the end of your fork it feels like a tragedy.
Honey Tarragon Roasted Beets with Wine Glazed Farro
- 3 Golden Beets, unpeeled and diced
- 3 Carrots (assorted colors), unpeeled and diced
- 1.5 T Tarragon
- 1 T Organic, unfiltered Olive Oil
- Half of one Meyer Lemon, wedged
- 1 Large Bay Leaf
- 1 Large Green Onion (or a few medium)
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay
- 1 Cup Anson Mills Farro
- 2.5 T Organic, unsalted Butter
- 1 T Wildflower Honey (aim for something local to your area)
- 4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- Sea salt, to taste
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- Organic white cheddar, shredded
Roasted Vegetable Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut lemon into wedges and set aside
- Dice carrots and beets, toss together
- Drizzle olive oil, lemon juice, tarragon, salt, pepper, and honey over vegetables, coat evenly. Leave lemon rinds on the sheet to roast with everything else
- Cook for 30-40 minutes or until soft with a slight crunch
- Pulse Farro in food processor 10-12 times for 1 second each pulse. This allows the bran to slightly break away from the grain. Set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of vegetable broth to a simmering boil in a sauce pan.
- Melt butter in large sauté pan.
- Once butter has melted and becomes foamy, add onions and stir. Cook until softened.
- Add Farro, toss to cover completely. Saute over medium heat for 1 minute, until all grain is covered evenly.
- Add Bay Leaf and Chardonnay. Continue to sauté over medium heat until wine becomes glazed.
- Add 1 cup of vegetable broth. Continue to saute over medium heat.
- Once broth has been absorbed, add another cup of broth and repeat. Continue until all broth is transferred.
- Place Farro onto plate or bowl
- Spoon roasted vegetables over the Farro
- Top with modest amount of cheddar
- Allow cheddar to melt slightly then serve warm.